Nextcloud @ DofTNet
DofT has set up a Nextcloud instance which you can log into using your DofTNet username and password. The main interface for your Nextcloud @ DofTNet account is via the web at cloud.doft.net. The Nextcloud user manual PDF file will be included in your files when you first log in but you can also browse the manuals at docs.nextcloud.com
From the web interface, you'll have direct access to:
- Files: organize, view, download, upload, and share. Some file types can be edited inside your browser
- Activity: A log of your cloud activities
- Gallery: Browse your photos and other images
- Talk: Video, voice and text chats
- Contacts: View, organize, and edit your contact lists
- Calendar: Create and share calendars and calendar events
- Search: Search for files based name or content
- Passman: Store account passwords in an encrypted vault, generate strong passwords for your online accounts.
- Flowupload: Bulk file uploads
- DofTNet Webmail: well... that's just a link to DofTNet Webmail
- Tasks: create and manage task lists (associated with your calendars)
- PhoneTrack: log your phone's position with an appropriate loging app on your phone
- Maps: see on a map where your photos were taken, where some of your contacts are, PhoneTrack and other GPS logs, and set favorite places.
- Bookmarks: keep your browser bookmarks in your cloud account and synchronize with browser plugins (see below)
- Phone Sync: keep a backup of your SMS conversations (We think this is only on android but we'll update this if it's wrong)
- Circles: Create your own groups of cloud users for sharing files and other things.
The following apps are also installed:
- Antivirus: ClamAV checks uploaded files and does periodic scans on files already on the system.
- Collabora Online: Edit office documents, spreadsheets, and slide shows.
- Pico CMS: A simple content management system to allow you to create and edit websites (like this one)
Desktop and Mobile Apps
Files can be synchronized between your computer and Nextcloud using the desktop clients available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Mobile apps are also available for Android and Apple devices. Visit the Mobile & Desktop Settings page (requires login) or the Nextcloud Clients page for information on desktop and mobile clients.
There is also an Android app for Passman which gives you secure access to passwords stored in your cloud account on your android device.
There are also mobile apps for Talk, PhoneTrak, Phone Sync, calendar and tasks... and probably some others... we'll work on a list of mobile app recommendations at some point
Browser plugins are available for Chrome and Firefox: (We'll provide links soon!)
- Talk: Share your desktop during a video chat
- Passman: Get access to your stored passwords to quickly log in to your online accounts. Plugins available for Chrome and Firefox.
- something for bookmarks and probably others? again, we'll continue to update this.
That's a lot of stuff...
We'll provide additional information on how to set each of these apps up as we find the time.